Solar Water Heater Rebate
The application includes a checklist of items you will need to receive a rebate.
Solar water heating is a simple, efficient, and affordable technology that can cut water heating costs by 50 – 80%. A family of four generally needs two 4’ X 8’ collector panels connected to an 80 gallon storage tank. The insulated tank holds the hot water until you need it. It requires little maintenance and helps create a sustainable environment with less dependency on energy created from fossil fuels.
There is an $800 rebate for a natural gas water heating customer to convert to a solar electric water heating system. All electric customers can receive a $400 rebate for the installation of a solar water heating system and are eligible for a low-interest Solar Energy Loan.
How much will I save?
By using a solar water heating system, residents can typically cut their water heating costs by 50-80%. The average Missouri family of four, spending approximately $455 annually on water heating, would save between $227 and $364 each year. Systems will last 25+ years when installed and maintained regularly (every 4-5 years)
How much will it cost to install?
Up front costs vary widely and depend on the type of system installed. Typical costs range from $3,000 to $5,000 for a standard home installation. Exact price quotes can only be obtained from the installer.
Choosing the System
A family of four needs two 4’ x 8’ collector panels connected to an 80-gallon storage tank. Residents in Missouri will want freeze protection. Both drain-back and non-toxic antifreeze systems offer freeze protection. A back-up heater is needed for cloudy days. Final system choice depends on the specific application and homeowner needs.
- This program is available to all Columbia Water & Light electric customers
- Rebates are offered to customers who install solar domestic water heating systems (DWH) that annually provide 50% (or more) yearly energy use from the sun and use electric resistance heating as the back-up energy source
- All systems must be OG 300 certified by SRCC
- Rebates must be applied for in advance of equipment installation and must receive written approval from Columbia Water & Light as a pre-condition to receiving a rebate offer
- Columbia Water & Light reserves the right to inspect a project prior to installation and after installation is completed
- Customer agrees to exclusively grant Columbia Water & Light the right to use all renewable energy attributes arising from the solar DHW system
- Standard rebate offer for customers already using electric DHW systems is $400
- For customers not using electric as their existing DHW system the standard rebate offer is $800. Solar storage tank must have electric element installed and be connected to an electric circuit. Storage tank must also be first in series plumbing
- Solar systems must be new and OG 300 certified as tested by the Solar Rating and Certification Corporation (SRCC)
- Equipment must be warranted for a minimum period of five years. Customers are required to maintain system in working order for a period of five years (or risk a prorated reimbursement)
- Projects must receive all applicable permits from the City of Columbia and meet all applicable codes
- Rebate application includes: Project description; SRCC certification and warranty
- Post installation requires a copy of City of Columbia permit(s) and paid receipt of contractor
- Customer files a Solar Water Heater Application with Columbia Water & Light
- Columbia Water & Light inspects property prior to installation (verifies preexisting energy source)
- Customer receives letter with the rebate offer
- Customer completes installation and notifies Columbia Water & Light
- Columbia Water & Light inspects completed project and all needed documentation
- Columbia Water & Light authorizes payment as approved and check is sent to the customer