New Home Energy Star Rebates
Sixteen percent of greenhouse gas emissions in the United States are generated from the energy used in homes nationwide. To make your new home more energy efficient, Columbia Water & Light is offering a $1,000 rebate to electric customers who meet Energy Star new home requirements.
Benefits of an Energy Star home
Energy Star qualified homes use substantially less energy for heating, cooling and water heating. Your new Energy Star home will have energy-efficient improvements that deliver:
- Better performance
- Greater comfort
- Lower utility bills saving you $200 to $400 annually
Who is eligible?
Homeowners and builders can be eligible if the home is in the Columbia electric service territory. $1,000 will be paid to home owners for custom homes and builders for speculation homes. Rebates are offered on a first-come, first-served basis as funding is available each fiscal year.
How to certify your new home
Rebates are only available to qualifying residential electric customers that have a certified Home Energy Rater (HERS) qualify their home as Energy Star rated. To find a certified HERS rater in Columbia, visit the Residential Energy Services Network at www.natresnet.org. Raters must belong to the Energy and Environment Ratings Alliance. All HERS raters listed on the website are certified rater members.
What are the steps for the rebate?
The following must be submitted along with the Rebate Application:
- Copy of Thermal Bypass Inspection Checklist must be signed by rater and builder.
- Copy of Energy Star Home Verification Summary must meet or exceed EPA’s requirements
- Copy of Energy Star Certificate must have an index of 85 or less.
- A copy of the building permit from the City of Columbia Protective Inspection Division of Public Works must be submitted.
The application along with copies of the information listed above must be mailed to:
Columbia Water & Light
P.O. Box 6015
Columbia, MO 65205-6015
Columbia Water & Light’s New Home Energy Star rebate program went into effect May 15, 2008. Homes completed before this date are not eligible.
The rebate application form and receipts must be submitted to Columbia Water & Light within six months of completion. Incomplete or incorrect applications must be corrected within 30 days or the applicant will risk losing his/her place in the rebate funding process.
Send an e-mail to Info@ColumbiaPowerPartners.com
Or, call 874-7631 or 874-7325
What features make a home Energy Star rated?
Homes that earn the Energy Star are significantly more energy efficient than standard homes. Energy Star builders achieve this high efficiency by selecting from a variety of features:
- Tight construction and ducts: this will help reduce drafts, moisture, dust, pollen, pests and noise.
- Effective insulation: properly installed and inspected insulation in floors, walls and attic ensures even temperatures throughout the home, while using less energy.
- Efficient heating and cooling equipment: uses less energy to operate, which reduces your utility bills.
- High performance windows: energy-efficient windows have protective coatings and improved frame assemblies to help keep heat in during the winter and out during the summer.
- Efficient products: lighting fixtures, compact fluorescent bulbs, ventilation fans and appliances.
- Independent testing: Energy Star verifies energy efficiency with a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) rater. A HERS rater conducts onsite inspections and testing to verify the performance of the new energy efficiency features.